Health Promotion Programmes in India
Volunteering in health programmes in India
Who this placement is for:
Health Promotion Programmes in India suit:
– Gap Year students thinking of setting out in a career in nursing, midwifery or medicine or who are interested in health
– Professionals from the Health Sector who would like to get an insight into the Indian Health Policies
– Families who would like to volunteer together
– Single people wanting to have a travel experience
– Anybody who would like to promote good health practises in rural schools and a boys orphanage and see how the Indian Health Sector ticks and have a unique travel experience
Based at the Volunteer House with other volunteers, you will have the opportunity to visit a village school where most of the villagers do not have electricity and running water and the ladies make several visits to the water tap to fill up their urns and carry the water home.
The children that attend the village school are the first generation in their families to attend school and live very much below the poverty level. Teach them about good health practices such as the importance of washing hands, cleaning teeth, keeping kitchen equipment very clean, good toilet hygiene….
In the afternoon, you can visit the boys orphanage where you can help boost the boys’s education in personal health matters as well as get involved in playing games or sport or art projects with them.
You will also get to visit a Day Care Centre and observe the new born babies being checked and vaccinated and the pregnant mothers coming for their check ups. See how records are kept both for the health visitors/midwifes and also the mothers. Toddlers spend the mornings in the Day Care Centres and there is also scope to engage with them. See how they do things in India and what incentives they offer for sterilisation in order to encourage parents not to have too many children. Find out also about other incentives the Government have introduced to help stop baby girl genocide.
You can visit a Primary Health Centre and sit in with the doctor and see how the centre works. There is also scope to visit a state of the art private hospital which has been built in a rural area not far from Udaipur and is attached to a new medical university. This hospital is an architect’s dream built from a green site – big rooms, logical layout, lots of light, air flowing through open corridors, the newest and most up to date equipment, highly qualified Indian medical staff.
All placements include a weekend trip to Agra and the Taj Mahal plus local excursions to the Monsoon Palace and Bagore Ki Haveli. Whilst in India, you may like to see more of the Golden Triangle. Here are some extra excursions available:
– Two day trip to Jodphur including one night’s stay with desert tribe in the Tar Desert and riding camels at dawn to watch the sunrise over the sand dunes – £128
– Two day trip to Ranthambore including Tiger Safari and trip to Ranthambore Fort – £155
– Three day trip to Jaipur and Agra (Taj Mahal) – £139
– Two day trip to Jaipur – £94
– Two day trip to Pushkar – £84
– Day trip by taxi to Ranakpur Temple and Kumbhalgarh Fort – £50
– Horse trekking weekend including one night’s camping – £74
Udaipur has plenty to see – explore the market and buy clothes, have a sari made, buy leather bound named diaries, shoes, jewellery, pictures…Take a boat ride on the Lake Pichola and have tea on one of the islands….Visit the City Palace….There is plenty to do and savour in this romantic city.
|Number of Weeks and Price||What's included||What's not included|
|2 weeks £959||Transfers to and from Udaipur Airport||Return flights to either Delhi or Mumbai|
|3 weeks £1,089||Accommodation at the Volunteer House||Return flights from Delhi or Mumbai to Udaipur|
|4 weeks £1,219||Three home cooked vegetarian meals at the Volunteer House||Travel Insurance|
|5 weeks £1,347||Orientation on arrival||Visas|
|6 weeks £1,477||Hindi lesson||Vaccinations|
|7 weeks £1,607||Weekend trip to Agra and the Taj Mahal|
|8 weeks £1,737||Local excursions in Udaipur to Monsoon Palace and Bagore Ki Haveli|
|9 weeks £1,867||Transport to placements|
|10 weeks £1,997|
|11 weeks £2,127|
|12 weeks £2,255|