In beautiful Yangshuo!
Learn Mandarin in China!
- Levels catered for: Beginner, Elementary, Lower Intermediate, Intermediate, Advanced, Proficient
- 2 weeks to 6 months
- Total immersion into the language
- Beautiful location in the famous town of Yangshuo, near Guilin, with its famous limestone scenery
- Courses start every Monday
- Plenty to visit in your spare time – iconic mountain scenery, rivers, rice paddies, caves, lots of extra activities such as rock climbing, canoeing, cycling
- Summer camps in July/August – 1 or 2 weeks
- Opportunity to reduce the fees by volunteering one or two hours per day speaking English with the Chinese students
- Combine this experience with volunteering in a panda breeding centre near Xi’an where you assist the keepers in the daily care of the pandas and can also help teach them English and also teach English at a local school
- If you have already studied some Mandarin then, before you arrive, the college will arrange with you to do an on-line test in order to assess which level of class you should be in.
- Once lessons start, the teachers may move you to another group to ensure you are in a group where you can flourish.
- Groups are small – from 2 to 6 students maximum per class so you will get lots of personal attention.
- If you are a complete beginner, then you will not need to be tested and will start in the Beginners classes.
Why learn Mandarin in China
- Mandarin is fast becoming one of those languages that linguists want to learn as it has so many uses in both business and teaching, plus if you are travelling round China, some “Survival Chinese” will help you get more out of the experience as few speak English.
- This unique opportunity consists in learning or improving your Mandarin in the beautiful town of Yangshuo, near Guilin in China at a language school which started in 2001 and is very popular with students from all over the world.
- Yangshuo is the perfect location as in your spare time there is plenty to do. You can explore the beautiful mountain scenery with places with names such as “Camel Crossing the River”, “Nine Horse in a Barn” and “Pen Holder Peak”!
- In addition to learning to speak Mandarin, there is the opportunity to learn about Chinese culture, Chinese cooking, Taichi, calligraphy, tea making, paper cutting and go on group excursions with the other students and join in the many social activities.
- Most students hire bikes or motor bikes for their exploring as Yangshuo is an area that actively encourages cycling and electric motor bikes. The area around the Yulong River is largely car free and very flat so perfect for exploring on a bike.
- There are two colleges: One where international students can learn Mandarin and one where Chinese can learn English. The two colleges mix at meal times, for social occasions and the international students share same sex rooms with the Chinese students with modern bathrooms with showers, toilets, heating and air conditioning. This is to encourage cross-cultural mixing with benefits for all. The accommodation will be within a 10 minute walk from the main college.
- Breakfast is not included and students generally go and buy something from the many restaurant/eateries in the road by the college.
- Lunch and dinner take place at college in the Canteen and there is a students lounge where the students can go in the evenings and mix.
Two types of courses plus a volunteering option
- Standard courses consist of 3 x 45 minute lessons daily, from Monday to Friday – either in the morning or the afternoon which allows you time to explore the amazing scenery in your spare time.
- Accommodation is in shared rooms, with a Chinese student for total immersion into the language and culture, with lunch and dinner Monday to Friday included, as are some cultural classes during the week such as demonstrations on making dumplings. Interaction with the Chinese students is encouraged at all times. Weekend activities take place and sometimes there is an extra cost for these.
- All books and materials are included.
- The Intensive courses consist of 6 x 45 minute lessons daily, Monday to Friday with some in the morning and some after lunch.
- Accommodation is in shared rooms with a Chinese student, with lunch and dinner Monday to Friday included as are some cultural classes during the week such as demonstrations on making dumplings. Weekend activities take place and sometimes there is an extra cost for these. Interaction with the Chinese students is encouraged at all times.
- All books and materials are included.
Volunteer at Language School – Short term 2 week volunteer program
- for native English speakers 18 and over
- all inclusive package including accommodation with en-suite, lunch and diner, 30 Mandarin lessons, books and materials, weekly sightseeing outings, social nights, cultural activities and more
- commitment of 2 hours work daily, Monday to Friday – working one-to-one in sessions with a Chinese student learning English either in the afternoon or evening. Placement can be custom-made and include event photography, marketing, coordinating events, journalism (writing articles for the website)…
- Enriching experience which will give you the opportunity to get to know this beautiful area, understand how Chinese society works and also will look good on any c.v.!
Volunteer in a Panda Breeding Centre near Xi’an
See below links to volunteering with giant pandas in a breeding centre near Xi’an which would combine well with studying Mandarin in Yangshuo.
|Mandarin Course - Standard - all inclusive||Mandarin Course - Intensive - all inclusive||What's included in the price|
|2 weeks - 3,680 Chinese RMB||6,680 RMB||Shared accommodation with a student from China|
|4 weeks - 7,120 Chinese RMB||12,760 RMB||Ensuite bathroom, hot water, a.c.|
|6 weeks - 10,230 Chinese RMB||18,420 RMB||heating, internet, washing machine,|
|8 weeks - 13,040 Chinese RMB||23,360 RMB||2-10 minutes walk from college|
|10 weeks - 16,300 Chinese RMB||29,200 RMB||Lunch and dinner week days|
|12 weeks - 19,200 Chinese RMB||33,720 RMB||Extra tutoring daily for an hour at night if needed|
|16 weeks - 25,120 Chinese RMB||44,800 RMB||Mandarin lessons|
|20 weeks - 30,800 Chinese RMB||55,400 RMB||Text books and learning materials|
|24 weeks - 36,600 Chinese RMB||65,760 RMB||Social activities Thursday night and/or Saturdays|
|32 weeks - 48,800 Chinese RMB||87,680 RMB||Chinese cultural lessons|
|48 weeks - 73,200 Chinese RMB||131,520 RMB||Welcome package|
|extra weeks after 24 weeks 1,525 RMB||extra weeks after 24 weeks 2,740 RMB|
|Mandarin course - standard - tuition only||Mandarin course - intensive - tuition only||What's included in the price|
|2 weeks - 3,120 RMB||2 weeks - 6,120 RMB||Mandarin lessons: 3 per day if doing standard|
|4 weeks - 6,000 RMB||4 weeks - 11,640 RMB||6 per day if doing intensive|
|6 weeks - 8,550 RMB||6 weeks 16,740 RMB||textbook and learning materials|
|8 weeks - 10,800 RMB||8 weeks - 21,120 RMB||Social activities on Thursday evenings|
|10 weeks - 13,500 RMB||10 weeks - 26,400 RMB||Some social activities on Saturdays|
|12 weeks - 15,840 RMB||12 weeks - 30,600 RMB||Chinese cultural lessons|
|16 weeks - 20,640 RMB||16 weeks - 40,320 RMB||Welcome package|
|20 weeks - 25,200 RMB||20 weeks - 49,800 RMB|
|24 weeks - 29,880 RMB||24 weeks - 59,040 RMB|
|32 weeks - 39,840 RMB||32 weeks - 78,720 RMB|
|48 weeks - 59,760 RMB||48 weeks - 118,080 RMB|
|extra weeks after 24 weeks 1,245 RMB||extra weeks after 24 weeks 2,460 RMB|