Field Guide Course Level 1 (FGASA/NQF2)
The Field Guide Course (FGASA/NQF2)- 55 days – is a course for those who:
- Want to do their entry level into Field Guiding but cannot take a whole year out to do the course and want to do it in manageable sections
- Want a Gap Year, Year Out, Career Break experience living in the tranquility of the bush, in pristine unspoilt nature reserves appreciating the unique wildlife, birds and flora of Southern Africa
This Field Guide Course (FGASA/NQF2) course course takes place staying in two, sometimes three, very different camps either in South Africa, or South Africa and Botswana and there is one course in the Mara in Kenya in October. There are 8 different start dates throughout the year to chose from and time should be allowed to make the necessary application. All applicants need to be 18+ and hold a valid driving licence. They also should do a First Aid Course prior to starting this course.
Participants stay in open bush camps so expect wildlife to pass through the camp at any time of the day or night! Everyone wakes early with the dawn chorus, has a quick coffee and rusk and then the first trek or game drive starts at around 5am to take advantage of the wonderful morning light and animals out grazing before the day heats up. Temperatures can reach as high as 40 degrees so a siesta is needed at the high point of the day.
Once back in camp, a hearty breakfast follows at 10am with other activities followed by a late lunch around 3pm. “Other activities” often include lectures, personal study, discussion on any particular encounters that day and on specific subjects. After or before lunch, you are encouraged to take a siesta after your early morning walk up. At 4pm, you are off on a game drive or another activity to explore another part of the area.
The syllabus includes:
- Identification of species including plants, birds, trees, animals, etc
- Tracking of animals either by recognising individual animals’ footprints, age of footprints or individual animals’ faeces and age of faeces
- Bush survival skills
- 4 x 4 vehicle skills (driving licence needed) specific to game viewing
- Navigation (including by the stars) and orientation in the wilderness
- Binocular skills – particularly important for spotting animals from a distance and also to be able to share these new found skills with others
- Vehicle positioning for wildlife photography.
This Field Guide Course (FGASA/NQF2) is a 55 day course and a wonderful opportunity to gain a qualification, lose yourself in nature, meet people from all over the world and of all ages and make new friends.
If you want, you can sit the FGASA exams and gain a qualification. However, you may be on a Gap Year, Career Break or just want to do the course because you love the Great Outdoors and want to truly experience a pristine wilderness area.
If you have any questions about this course and availability, please email us on email@example.com.
For more information about visiting Southern Africa, visit the FCO advice page https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/south-africa
For Health Advice on Travel to South Africa, visit Fit for Travel page http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/africa/south-africa.aspx
|Start and finish dates - 55 days||Price for 2020|
|4 January - 27 February 2020 - taking place in 3 different camps in S.Africa||South African Rand 103,800|
|24 February - 18 April 2020m- taking place in two camps S.Africa and one Botswana||South African Rand 103,800|
|13 March - 6 May 2020- taking place in two different camps in S.Africa||South African Rand 103,800|
|9 April - 2 June 2020 -taking place in two different camps in S.Africa||South African Rand 103,800|
|6 May - 27 June 2020 - taking place in two different camps in S.Africa||South African Rand 103,800|
|10 July - 2 September 2020 - taking place in 3 different camps in S.Africa||South African Rand 103,800|
|6 October - 29 November 2020 - taking place in Kenya in the Mara||USD$8,450|
|10 October - 3 December 2020 - taking place in two different camps in S.Africa||South African Rand 103,800|