Field Guide Level 1
Field Guide Level 1 (NQF2) 55 day course is a FGASA endorsed course for those who:
- Want to do their entry level into Field Guiding but cannot take a whole year out to do the course and want to do it in manageable sections
- Want a Gap Year, Year Out, Career Break experience living with the tranquility of the bush, in pristine unspoilt nature reserves appreciating the unique wildlife, birds and flora of Southern Africa
This course can be taken either in South Africa and Botswana staying in two very different camps, or in Zimbabwe at Victoria Falls. There are 7 different start dates throughout the year to chose from and time should be allowed to make the necessary application.
Participants stay in open bush camps so expect wildlife to pass through the camp! Everyone wakes early with the dawn chorus, has a quick coffee and rusk and then the first trek or game drive starts at around 5am to take advantage of the wonderful morning light and animals out grazing before the day heats up. Temperatures can reach as high as 40 degrees so a siesta is needed at the high point of the day.
Once back in camp, a hearty breakfast follows at 10am with other activities followed by a late lunch around 3pm. At 4pm, you are off on a game drive or another activity to explore another part of the area.
The syllabus includes:
- Identification of species including plants, birds, trees, animals, etc
- Tracking of animals either by recognising individual animals’ footprints, age of footprints or individual animals’ faeces and age of faeces
- Bush survival skills
- 4 x 4 vehicle skills (driving licence needed) specific to game viewing
- Navigation (including by the stars) and orientation in the wilderness
- Binocular skills – particularly important for spotting animals from a distance and also to be able to share these new found skills with others
- Vehicle positioning for wildlife photography.
This course is a wonderful opportunity to gain a qualification, lose yourself in nature, meet people from all over the world and of all ages and make new friends.
If you have any questions about this course and availability, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about visiting Southern Africa, visit the FCO advice page https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/south-africa
For Health Advice on Travel to South Africa, visit Fit for Travel page http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/africa/south-africa.aspx
|Start and finish dates of Field Guide Level 1 course - 55 days||Price|
|5 January - 28 February 2018||South African Rand 89,000|
|10 March - 3 May 2018|
|12 April - 5 June|
|6 May - 29 June|
|2 July - 25 August|
|8 September - 1 November|
|4 October - 27 November|